Want to get involved?
Applying environmental genomics for biological characterization and monitoring efforts is an emerging application being developed and implemented by academics, industry, and regulators around the world. Oil and gas companies, along with academics and regulators, have been involved in development and application of environmental genomics, leading to the formation of the International Consortium on Environmental Genomics (ICE-G). This consortium has developed guidelines for the application of environmental genomics as one of the priority areas for this emerging technology, and consequently formed this JIP to advance the development and application of these technologies for industry-aligned projects.
Industry specific applications range from exploration to decommissioning project phases, both onshore and offshore, and encompasses broad-scale biodiversity surveys as well as targeted species approaches. Areas of priority are the potential applications described below. Projects that address these potential applications may be funded for development. Proposals will be evaluated on both technical and economical strengths, in addition to relevance to industry identified needs. The Funding Participants will select among the received proposals the one that best fit the business needs and the scope of work of the project and will mandate IOGP to execute the contract accordingly.
The industry specific applications currently identified are the following:
- Baseline assessments (establishing pre-existing conditions)
- Monitoring of Environmental Effects of oil & gas activities (natural or engineered environments)
- Detection of key species (e.g., Rare/Threatened/Endangered species, commercial species)
- Population Status & Dynamics (for single species)
- Rapid assessment of potential invasive species (e.g. ballast water, biofouling, etc.)
- Remediation / Restoration
- Early detection of newly introduced invasive or competitive species (not specific to ballast water or biofouling)
- Habitat Delineation (identifying potential habitats based on biological characteristics)
- Additional fundamental emerging topics ranging from initial experimental design to downstream data analyses.
RFP information (under construction)
- RFP Response Format
- Unsolicited Pre Proposals
- Research Topics of Interest to JIPs